About Squiz Matrix
Last Updated: 12 Oct 2017
The Squiz Matrix Manifesto
"To create the best Web Experience Management platform, with a focus on simplicity and usability, that empowers its users to easily and quickly create great content, functionality, and experiences for the web."
— Squiz Matrix Product Team
What is Squiz Matrix?
Squiz Matrix is a market leading, Gartner & Ovum recognised, enterprise Web Experience Management (WEM) system, owned and developed by Squiz, which allows users to easily create and manage content for the web and other digital platforms without requiring any technical knowledge.
It is also a highly powerful and flexible web application framework and integration engine that empowers front-end web developers to create rich and functional websites, intranets, portals, and apps without the need for any custom back-end software development.
Squiz Matrix is completely browser based, meaning you can access and use it with any modern web browser, from anywhere, without the need to install additional software on your computer.
The system comes with two main interfaces: Edit and Admin mode.
This is a simple and completely customisable editing interface for the everyday content author and includes features such as:
- Creating, editing, and publishing accessible web pages using the Squiz built and one-of-a-kind WYSIWYG editor;
- Management of various web content types including blog/news posts, events, images, documents, and more;
- Reviewing, collaborating, and approving changes through flexible workflows and inline commenting;
- Editing metadata for both SEO purposes and page functionality;
- Creating online forms with single or multiple steps;
- Applying templates to content blocks and pages; and
- Viewing analytics and insights integrated from Google Analytics.
This interface is designed for users who need to control every aspect of their Squiz Matrix system and all of its websites including:
- Doing anything you can do in Edit Mode;
- Creating user accounts and setting permissions;
- Integrating with third-party systems and apps;
- Setting up scheduled tasks and automatic event-based actions;
- Configuring server and system settings such as HTTP headers and session controls; and
- Doing all of the above without writing a single line of PHP code.
Squiz Matrix contains a wide library of out-of-the-box modules that are extremely flexible and customisable to meet any requirement your digital project might have. This includes modules such as listings, search pages, calendars, online forms, templates, designs, account managers, APIs, web services, and more.
Because of the dynamic approach of module development, the need for custom plugins and code is completely removed and means your system becomes more maintainable and upgrade safe.
You can read the online Manuals for more information on what Squiz Matrix can do. You can also get in contact with Squiz to get a personalised demonstration of the software and discover how it can solve your digital business and marketing goals.
These are the strengths and core values of Squiz Matrix and what we want the product to be globally recognised for. All new feature development aligns to at least one of these principles.
1. Content Creation
Intuitive and fast digital content creation and management for static, dynamic, and personalised content for multiple customer touch points.
Powerful and easily configurable 2-way integration using a mix of generic web services, APIs, and dedicated built-in 3rd party connectors.
3. Flexibility & Customisation
Highly configurable and versatile modules and user interfaces that remove the need for custom software development.
4. Efficiency & Simplicity
Efficient and productive implementation framework for digital solutions through the use of modules, reusable content, and importable (and exportable) pre-built templates.
Secure and highly robust web software that enables effortless and streamlined support and version upgrades.
This is a summary of our short, mid, and long term release goals for Squiz Matrix.
All information published in this section is not final and subject to change without notice.
5.4 Release Goals
The following is a list of features and enhancements confirmed for upcoming releases in the 5.4 branch.
- Canonical link management
- JS date pickers for date fields
- PayWay payment gateway
- Checking out repos using tags on Git Bridge
- Orphaned assets tool
- Outdated and unused asset and feature deprecations
- Performance improvements
- Morphing metadata fields and custom form fields
- Conditional metadata sections and fields
- Updated and modernised software stack support
5.5 Release Goals
These are some of the bigger features and changes planned for version 5.5 of Squiz Matrix and is currently scheduled for late 2018.
- New Admin Mode UI
- New import/export system (Matrix Mirror)
- Refactored logging system and restore content functionality
- Version controlled implementation development using Git
- Refactored Metadata system
- Queing system for expensive authoring processes
- Refactored internal seach engine and indexing
Future Release Goals
These features and ideas are not yet confirmed or planned, but we are aiming to achieve them sometime after the initial 5.5 release.
- New API
- New monitoring, analytics, and reporting tools
- Custom JSON key/value storage system and API
- Salesforce connector
- Token connectors for Facebook, Twitter, GitHub, Google, and more
- Microsoft Dynamics CRM connector
- Template widgets
- Connectors for 3rd party customer service chat bots
- Improved caching system
These are some notable new features and enhancements recently released from our Roadmap.
- Remap Manager enhancements and UI improvements
- ^as_asset keyword modifier enhancements
- Asset children keyword
- Simplified asset morphing
- Ace code editor in raw HTML Content Containers in Edit+
- JS API error handling improvements and support for promises
- New keywords for state evaluation in type formats of listing assets
- Several UI improvements for Admin Mode
- Support for ReCAPTCHA version 2
- Root users group for System Administrators
- New Marketo integration submission action for Custom Forms
- Smart select fields in Admin Mode
- Improved trigger creation and support for cloning
- Smarter asset type selection lists for listing assets and the asset builders
- Improved Log Manager UI and filter tools
- Improved Search and Replace tool
- Asset Map usability and functionality improvements
- WYSIWYG Content Container usability improvements
- Ace editor search improvements
- Content Container metadata indexing
- Variation preview tools
- Updated default Content Container format and settings for listing and layout assets
- Preview in new window and Edit Mode shortcuts
- Edit assets without a URL in Edit+
- Admin Mode & Edit+ user interface improvements
- In-browser image editing
- Image variation editing in Edit+
- Content Variations and Personas
- Revamped Contexts functionality
- Significantly improved bulk file uploading
- Modernised asset icons
- Site editing in Edit+
- Edit+ Manager
- SCSS design asset
- Remap rules
- Google Analytics connector improvements
- Git Bridge file support in File Folders
- Squiz Edge integration and caching improvements
Let Us Know What You Think
Let us know if you spot any errors or if you have any ideas on how we can improve the Matrix Community Website.
Contact Squiz for Demo
Let us show you the true power of Squiz Matrix by giving you a personalised demonstration.