Using Thesaurus Terms as Metadata
17 Dec 2015
A Thesaurus field can be used within a Metadata Schema to allow users to input terms from a specific Thesaurus as metadata values. This is useful in restricting the metadata field to only a set group of relevant values.
To create a Metadata Schema with a Thesaurus field:
- Create a Metadata Schema.
- On the Details screen, add a new Section.
- In the Sections Defined For This Metadata Schema section, add a name for the field and select the Thesaurus option in the New Field Type menu, as shown in the figure below.
- A Thesaurus field will be added to the Metadata Schema, as shown in the figure below. The field must now be configured to accept terms from only a specific Thesaurus.
- In the Thesaurus metadata field, click Edit Metadata Field to go to the field's Details screen.
- On the Details screen, select a Thesaurus asset in the Source Thesaurus Asset field, as shown in the figure below. You can also choose to select one or more Thesaurus Terms as the Default Value and customise the regular metadata schema settings.
- Once the schema and its fields are configured, apply the Metadata Schema to your asset(s).
To apply Thesaurus Terms as metadata:
- Go to the Metadata screen of an asset with the schema applied.
- In the Thesaurus Terms field, untick the User default value checkbox and select one or more Thesaurus Terms from the Asset Map.
Please note that Thesaurus Terms will not appear in the Asset Map unless the Thesaurus' Hierarchy Mode settings are either configured or disabled. For more information on the Hierarchy Mode, refer to the Thesaurus chapter in this manual.
- Once this is done, click Commit. Thesaurus Terms will have been added as metadata, as shown in the figure below.
For more information on creating and configuring a Metadata Schema, refer to the Schemas manual.